Do Environmental Factors Cause Scoliosis?

Hearing your child is hurt or sick rocks your world. And if your child has just been told they have scoliosis, it probably triggered a rapid-fire list of questions you need answers to right away: Is this disabling? Are they in pain? Will it get worse? Is there a cure? A treatment? And the one you really dread: Could I have stopped it?

Dr. Patrick S. McNulty, our double-board certified, award-winning spine specialist, understands your fears and concerns. At McNulty Spine, we’re here to answer all your questions about scoliosis and put your mind at ease. Today, we’d like to address the issue of environmental factors and whether or not they can cause scoliosis.

Common causes of scoliosis

Your spine is meant to be straight from neck to tailbone, but certain conditions can cause it to develop with a curvature or S shape; this is called scoliosis. A slight curve in your spine can go unnoticed and never develop any symptoms, but it often progresses and causes pain and difficulty breathing, walking, sitting, standing, and doing everyday activities.

Scoliosis does run in families, but not 100% of the time. There are several known things that can cause scoliosis, such as:

But those causes only make up about 20% of the reasons for scoliosis. The other 80% are unknown (idiopathic). If your child is diagnosed with adolescent idiopathic scoliosis (AIS), they’re one of about 2%-4% of kids their age around the world living with the condition and wondering why.

Scientists have been studying scoliosis for many years trying to understand the disease’s origins more clearly, in hopes of developing effective treatments or prevention strategies. Here’s what we know to date.

Scoliosis and environmental factors

Once you rule out the three known causes of scoliosis listed above, you begin looking at all the other possible culprits, and the environment seems a logical place to look. We’re way ahead of you. For years, researchers have investigated the environmental factors that might contribute to scoliosis and have come up empty handed. Some of the specific studies have explored:

While none of these reports conclusively point to an environmental cause for scoliosis, the search continues. We do know that multiple factors can lead to changes in musculoskeletal structures and growth patterns. One thing you can rest assured of, your child doesn’t have AIS because of a heavy backpack or slouching at their desk.

Treating and stopping the progression of scoliosis

As we continue to look for the causes of AIS, there are some very effective treatments that can help your child slow or stop the progression of the curve. Mild cases typically respond well to a simple brace. In extreme cases, Dr. McNulty may need to perform spinal fusion surgery. But in many AIS cases, Dr. McNulty suggests The Tether™ System

This FDA-approved treatment involves anchoring screws into the spine and attaching a cord through them. Dr. McNulty then increases the tension on the cord, which begins to straighten the spine. This is especially effective for kids with AIS and a curvature of 35-65 degrees. 

The Tether continues to straighten the spine as your child grows, which may help them avoid spinal fusion surgery later. 

If your child has scoliosis, don’t blame yourself. Many factors, most of them unknown, lead to this structural change in the spine. The best way to help your child is to get them the best medical treatment possible by calling Dr. McNulty at either of our Henderson or Las Vegas, Nevada, offices, or using the online tool to request an appointment.

You Might Also Enjoy...

How Do You Know You Have a Herniated Disc?

Having back problems with pain? You’ve heard the term “herniated disc,” so you figure it has something to do with your spine, and you know it causes back pain — but how do you know if it’s happened to you?

These Bad Habits are Making Your Sciatica Worse

The cause of your sciatica may be out of your control, but you have the power to keep it in check or make it worse every day. Find out which habits are triggering your sciatica flare-ups so you can avoid them for better living.

Common Risk Factors of Kyphosis

A hunchback, a dowager’s hump, poor posture — call it what you will, but the technical term is kyphosis. Do you have to worry about it happening to you? Find out about what can raise your chances of getting kyphosis.

Understanding Sciatica

It can trigger pain far from its source, it has many possible causes, and the symptoms range from mild tingling to shocking pain — your sciatic nerve can be a mystery. Here are the basics about this super long nerve and the facts you need to know.

8 Signs of Kyphosis

If your upper back is beginning to slump like the Hunchback of Notre Dame, you may have kyphosis. But even if yours isn’t that extreme, the signs are there, warning you to get early treatment. Here’s what you need to know.